The Director of Communications and Media Relations is responsible for the Department of Health, Veterans, and Community Wellness (HVCW) overall communications strategy. Reporting to the Wayne County Executive Communications Director, this position will work collaboratively with HVCW senior leadership to develop and implement communication and marketing strategies to broaden the impact of HVCW programs and oversee organizational messaging and constituent services.
It is the primary responsibility of the Director of Communications & Media Relations to guide and direct the execution of media, marketing and communications for HVCW, as well as manage key brand corporate communications and consumer-facing public relations that support and enhance the image of HVCW. Candidates should be prepared for hours outside of the traditional work day, as events, media engagement or programming require.
* Develop communications strategies based that will raise awareness of HVCW events, initiatives and services.
* Develop all HVCW messages to ensure organizational consistency and integration into overall communications of the Wayne County Executive's Office.
* Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support HVCW work, and create and implement plans to maximize them.
* Serve as executive editor for the organization's website and other communication outlets
* Prepare organizational response to media inquiries about HVCW issues as well as management and crisis communications.
* Prepare and distribute press materials including: press releases, media alerts, talking points, pitch kits, via traditional and new media/social media in coordination with Wayne County Executive Communications
* Serve as liaison between HVCW and media.
* Support Wayne County Executive Communications, including preparation and written executive correspondence.
* Spearhead key media events and initiatives of HVCW, while supplementing efforts of Wayne County Executive Communications
* Organize events related to HVCW services or programming.
Qualifications and Skills
The ideal candidate will have bachelor's degree in communications or related field (MBA preferred); and a minimum of five years professional media relations, communications and marketing experience, in addition to:
* Superior communications skills , both written and verbal, with emphasis on copy writing and copy editing and knowledge of AP style.
* Demonstrated and applicable experience in strategic and crisis communications.
* Ability to serve as spokesperson and liaison with media while identifying stories of interest and media trends.
* Experience identifying opportunities to publicly position HVCW senior leadership as subject-matter experts.
* Technology competencies including all Microsoft Office applications and Adobe PhotoShop with other graphics applications in both PC and Apple platforms are preferred.
* Passionate about looking for new and creative ways to strengthen and grow brand.
* Significant communications and marketing experience that includes media relations, organizational messaging and branding.
* Teamwork and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and navigate multi-departmental approval process.
* Critical thinking with passion for learning.
* Ability to be self-directed, work independently and utilize creative problem-solving.
* Flexibility and agility to adapt to changing and emergent business requirements and objectives.
* Knowledge of public health and health care services preferred.
* This position may require duty beyond regular work hours e.g. Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
* Some travel may be required.
Applicants Must Provide The Following:
* Min of 2 professional references
* Portfolio of past work including writing samples
Wayne County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Military Personnel, former Legislature Members and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.